Benefits for military connected Spouses and Dependents

You may be eligible for education benefits, also known as Chapter 35 benefits, if you are the spouse or child of a veteran and meet the criteria as specified by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). These benefits are also a part of the Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA) Program.

Spouses and Dependents education benefits may include:

  • Education and career counseling
  • Money for tuition costs for college or graduate degree programs
  • Money for housing, books and supplies
  • Apprenticeships
  • On-the-job training

Am I eligible for DEA benefits?

military family

Additional Benefit Opportunities

If you don't meet the criteria for Chapter 35, you may still qualify for education benefits that can be transferred to you.

Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits can be transferred, also known as Transfer of Entitlement (TOE), to a spouse or dependent children.

TOE Benefits can include:

  • Money for tuition, housing, books and supplies
  • Qualified spouses or dependents can receive benefits for up to 36 months.

Am I eligible for TOE benefits?

Fry Scholarship

In addition to the above listed benefits, some children and spouses may also qualify for the Fry Scholarship. This is an additional benefit opportunity that qualifies eligible beneficiaries for money for tuitions, housing, books and supplies. It cannot be used with Chapter 35 benefits.

The GI Bill Comparison Tool is a guide to help you decide which benefits are best for you.

  1. Contact Lakeland's veterans benefits certifying specialist to make sure your program is approved for VA benefits.
  2. Apply for your benefits online through the VA website.

Follow Lakeland Veterans Center & SVA

Lakeland Veterans Center LinkedIn Lakeland SVA Facebook Lakeland SVA Instagram Lakeland SVA Twitter


Staging Enabled