The respiratory therapy program at Lakeland Community College serves students and the healthcare community by preparing graduates with demonstrated competence in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains of respiratory care practice as performed by registered respiratory therapists (RRTs).
- We value each student and will provide them with an opportunity to practice respiratory care in a supportive environment that will serve to promote understanding and appreciation of the role of respiratory therapists as members of the healthcare team.
- We value our hospital affiliates and will work with them to promote interdependency where we will supply the best candidates for employment and they will provide those students with opportunities for excellence in practice.
- We value each patient's life as though it were our own. We will respect the rights of others and appreciate cultural differences as they relate to patient care.
- We value teamwork and communication with other members of the medical profession with respect to excellence in care-giving.
The students will acquire fundamental knowledge of respiratory therapy concepts related to current practice.
- Explain respiratory related diagnostics.
- Discuss respiratory related therapeutics.
- Describe the basic principles of cardiopulmonary disorders.
- Describe basic principles of cardiopulmonary pharmacology.
- Describe the basic principles of respiratory related science.
The students will apply knowledge of respiratory care to relevant patient situations.
- Recommend, interpret and communicate results of respiratory related diagnostics.
- Perform respiratory related diagnostic tests.
- Recommend, apply and communicated results of respiratory related therapeutic modalities.
The students will demonstrate behaviors appropriate to a professional respiratory therapist.
- Demonstrate professionalism in a clinical setting.
- Interacts appropriately with patients and their families.