Transfer students seeking Advanced Placement in the Respiratory Therapist Program are defined by the Committee on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC) as: "a student who, upon entering a program on or after the initial enrollment date for a cohort, has received credit for: prior experience, transfer of respiratory care credits from another institution, and/or credentialing in health care that leads to transfer credit. The program must have an Advanced Placement policy in place for a student to be classified in this way."
To transfer, students must meet the following requirements.
- The student seeking transfer must be in good standing in the program they are transferring from. Good standing is defined as a student that is not on probation for; and/or has not been dismissed for academics, skill competence or behavioral conduct issues.
- The transfer student must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 and a "C" grade or higher in all required courses as listed in the curriculum guide for the A.A.S. degree in Respiratory Therapy at Lakeland Community College.
- The transfer student must complete the Respiratory Therapy application and Lakeland Community College application forms, as well as all other admission requirements. Application material and official transcripts must be submitted to the Admissions office at least 12 weeks prior to entry into the Respiratory Program. It is the student's responsibility to make an appointment with a counselor to have all transfer credits evaluated.
- A transfer student must make an appointment with the Respiratory program director to discuss potential placement in the program. Prior to this appointment, the applicant must submit:
- A list of respiratory courses successfully completed along with course description, course objectives and course outline for each respiratory course
- A letter of intent (completed by the student and included in the packet) including reason for transfer
- Acceptance is contingent upon available space.
- Upon acceptance, the Respiratory Program Director will determine placement of the student. The student will be informed in writing of specific requirements that must be met in order to matriculate into the program including but not limited to signing an agreement to adhere to the current program and clinical policies.
- The student must complete all respiratory courses in three (3) academic years from the time the first respiratory course(s) were originally taken at any institution. Respiratory Therapy Program policies, Lakeland Community College.
- A transfer student must complete 20 credit hours at Lakeland to be awarded a degree from Lakeland Community College. In order to graduate with a technical degree, students must earn a minimum of 20 technical credits (respiratory coursework) at Lakeland Community College. Degree Completion, Graduation Requirements Policy, Lakeland Community College Academic Catalog.
Respiratory Therapy Program Policies, 2019
*CoARC Accreditation policies and procedures manual, 1/1/2018, p.61.