The Modern Languages department offers introductory, elementary and intermediate French, German, Italian and Spanish courses. Courses focus on sentence structure, grammar and vocabulary which will help you speak and write the language. Intermediate courses explore the culture and civilization in each area through films, documentaries, reports and discussions.
Did you know that...
- Many 4-year degrees require 1-2 years of coursework in a foreign language?
- Speaking a foreign language is a preferred qualification for many jobs?
- Four out of five jobs in the U.S. are created as a result of foreign trade?
- Studying a foreign languages is a way to understand other cultures and develop a positive attitude toward people who are different?
- Foreign languages can help you develop your communication skills?
- Foreign languages enhance your opportunities in government, business, medicine, law, military, industry, marketing, etc.?
- Foreign languages are an essential part of a liberal arts education?
Students can focus their studies at Lakeland in modern languages as an Associate of Arts degree concentration or transfer the credits to a four-year college or university. Others may take the classes for personal interest and advancement.
Successful completion of an Associate of Arts may lead to employment in a variety of different occupations. Below are examples, some of which typically include additional degree work at a transfer institution. Northeast Ohio median salaries in 2020 for interpreter and translators was $59,690. Speaking a second language can give applicants an edge in many jobs including those below. See O*Net OnLine for additional wage and employment trends as well as required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Interpreters and translators
- Social services, law enforcement, law and health related careers
- International business and trade related careers
- Directors, religious activities and education
- Elementary, secondary or postsecondary teachers
- Middle school teachers
- Postsecondary education
- Reporters and correspondents
- Public relations specialists
- Fundraisers and fundraising managers
- Advertising and promotions managers
- Market research analysts and marketing specialists
Students interested in modern languages, transfer, or liberal arts are encouraged to get involved: