eLearning requires students to work independently without a lot of interaction and prompting from the instructor. That means it is your responsibility to process and learn from the information provided by your instructor without much direct help from the instructor.
Students who are successful in a eLearning environment are:
- Good at time management
- Have a keen interest in the course
- eLearning allows for lots of flexibility. However, it requires a high level of self-discipline, and self-motivation on your part.
- Allocating time each week to your course work, then sticking to that schedule, will help in your success.
- You will need good reading and comprehensive skills, as these are the main methods of communication for all courses.
- Since you will not be attending regular campus classes where your instructor covers the contents of the material, you will need to do the required reading and research for your particular class.
- eLearning requires a great deal of written communications, submitting homework, sending email to your Instructor, posting on discussion boards, or "talking" with other students in chat rooms.
How well would eLearning courses fit your circumstances and lifestyle? Take a quick self quiz to help you assess if ELearning is the answer for you:
MINIMUM TECHNOLOGY REQUIREMENTS INCLUDE:
- 2GHz or better processor (CPU)
- 1GB or more memory (RAM)
- High-Speed Internet connection (DSL, ADLS, cable, direct network connection) is
- Operating System:
Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 / Mac OSX
Firefox 24 ESR or higher / Google Chrome / Safari (Mac)
These may be downloaded in Blackboard from the "My Lakeland BB" tab
Internet Explorer is NOT recommended
- Mobile Support:
There is a Blackboard Learn app for iOS and Android mobile devices.
Note that NOT all Blackboard features are supported on the app.
Blackboard is NOT supported on any mobile browser.
Please note that many Information Technology (ITCS, ITDB, ITIS, ITON) courses have additional technology requirements necessary for your success.