|Procedure Number: ||SS71-01
|Title: ||Nonacademic Student and Stakeholder Complaints
Date Approved: 05/07/2013
Updated & Approved:
Lakeland Community College values feedback from our students and other stakeholders regarding our programs, services, and processes in order to continuously improve and meet the needs of our community.
This process does not apply to formal complaint appeals or grievances handled through Board Policies and Procedures, such as student conduct, grade appeals, and human resources policies.
For complaints regarding academic issues, see the relevant policy:
- Student Conduct Code
- Student Initiated Complaint Procedure
- Standards of Academic Progress Policy
- Transfer Appeals Procedures
A complaint is a concern or dissatisfaction with a person, service, or process that may require clarification, investigation, and resolution.
A complaint is considered informal when they are expressed verbally (in-person or phone), by email, or through the online Comment Form on the college website.
A complaint is considered formal when the concern is submitted in writing and the document specifically indicates that the writer intends to file a formal complaint. Concerns submitted via email will be considered informal unless the body of the email specifically indicates otherwise.
Process for Informal Complaints
- Informal complaints should be directed to the appropriate area of the college for a response. Faculty and staff who receive an informal complaint should forward it to the supervisor of the area involved in the complaint.
- If the initial exchange to address the concern does not resolve the matter, the complainant should then communicate with the next level supervisor of the department involved.
- At this point, if successful resolution has not been reached, the complainant may file a formal, written complaint.
- Informal complaints will be documented by the supervisor/s involved and maintained by the responding office.
- Anonymous informal complaints received via the Comment Form on the college website will be shared with the appropriate administrator for informational purposes and action, if appropriate.
- All informal complaints will be compiled annually by the Division of Institutional Development and Effectiveness and be reviewed by the Vice Presidents and President to identify complaint patterns and opportunities for improvement.
Process for Formal Complaints
- If the Informal Complaint Process has been followed, but the issue has not been resolved, the complainant may file a formal complaint in writing with the appropriate college administrator.
- Formal complaints must be submitted in writing through the Formal Complaint Form available on the college website, or by writing a letter specifically indicating that the writer intends to file a formal complaint.
- The letter should include: complainant contact information, details of the complaint including dates, supporting documentation, actions taken to resolve the situation, and the specific action sought by the complainant.
- Formal complaints will be addressed by the responsible college administrator. Faculty and staff who receive a formal complaint should forward it to the administrator of the area involved in the complaint.
- The administrator addressing the complaint is to acknowledge receipt of the complaint within two business days and gather information relevant to the complaint.
- A written response (hard copy or email) is to be sent to the complainant. A copy of the complaint and the written response is to be maintained by the responding office and submitted to the appropriate Vice President.
- If the complainant is not satisfied with the response, he/she may file a written complaint to the appropriate Vice President. In such cases, the Vice President will gather information and provide a written response to the complainant with a copy to the President's Office.
- All formal complaints will be compiled annually by the Division of Institutional Development and Effectiveness and be reviewed by the Vice Presidents and President to identify complaint patterns and opportunities for improvement.
Formal Complaint Form
This form is to be used only after the Process for Informal Complaints has been completed and successful resolution has not been reached. For complaints regarding academic or human resources issues, see the appropriate college policy or procedure.
Name: ________________________ Student ID (if applicable): ________________________
Address: ________________________________________________ ______________________
City: _________________________________________ State: ______ Zip Code: ___________
Phone: ________________________ Email: ________________________________________
Briefly describe the details of the complaint. Include timelines or dates. Attach documentation as necessary:
Please describe previous actions taken regarding this complaint. Include the names of any persons with whom you have spoken, the method and date of communication, and any other details you deem relevant:
Requested action/solution to complaint:
I understand that my complaint will be directed to the appropriate administrator to gather information and respond. I certify the information I have given to be true and complete to the best of my knowledge.
Return this form and supporting documentation to the appropriate college administrator.
See the college's General Complaint Process for more information.