As a personal trainer, you will lead, instruct and motivate people or groups in exercise activities. You'll interact with people of all ages and skill levels to develop cardiovascular workouts (for the heart and blood circulation), strength training and stretching.
- Demonstrate/explain exercises to improve fitness
- Ensure clients use correct technique
- Monitor progress and adapt programs to client needs
- Explain safety in use of exercise equipment
- Give clients information about good nutrition and healthy lifestyles
Personal trainers work in a variety of settings:
- Health clubs/fitness centers
- Recreation centers
- Yoga/Pilates studios
- You can complete Lakeland's personal trainer certificate in about one year.
- The program helps to prepare you to take any of the nationally-recognized exams to earn a credential signifying excellence in the field.
- Being nationally credentialed is required by many employers.
The top benefit of Lakeland's program is that some of the courses you will take count toward a college degree. Because Lakeland Community College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, they may apply toward an Associate of Arts or an Associate of Science degree, and may also be eligible to transfer credits to a bachelor's degree program. Students should consult a Lakeland counselor before beginning this program to discuss transferability.
Growth will be spurred by businesses, government and insurance organizations that continue to recognize the benefits of health and fitness for their employees, and provide incentives to join gyms or other types of health clubs. This is expected to increase the need for fitness trainers and instructors.
The job outlook for fitness trainers and instructors is expected to grow 15% (much faster than average), through 2029 (Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Fitness Trainers and Instructors (visited July 22, 2021).
Some personal trainers go on to pursue additional education in a related field like physical therapy assistant, offering increased opportunities for employment. Earning your certificate from Lakeland will lay the groundwork if you want to keep your options open to come back and earn a degree.
Contact the program director today to learn more.