This 1-year certificate will provide dental assisting training – you'll learn interpersonal and technical skills that will prepare you to fill in-demand dental assisting jobs. They are mainly responsible for office, administrative and clinical duties.
Dental assisting is a great way to make sure the dental field is for you. If you're interested in health care areas, having a dental assisting credential is a great way to make your resume stand out from the rest.
Choose Ohio First Scholarships are now available for dental assisting students!
Here's what one local dentist has to say about Lakeland's dental assisting program.
- telephone triage and scheduling
- updating and filing patient medical records
- billing and bookkeeping
- taking vital signs and medical histories
- prepping patients for examination
- instructing patients (tooth brushing, flossing, etc.)
- performing chairside during procedures
- radiography (taking X-rays)
- mixing dental materials as required by the dentist
- Job outlook through 2029 is 7% faster than average growth*
- Median pay in 2020 was $41,180*
- Some area dental assistants go on to pursue the Expanded Functions and Duties Assistant program at Case Western Reserve University. Here they gain additional skills that can lead to increased responsibilities to grow their career.
- Dental Assisting is named #14 "Best Jobs Without a College Degree" and #15 "Best Health Care Support Jobs" by U.S. News & World Report
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Dental Assistants,
at https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/dental-assistants.htm (visited June 09, 2021).
Contact our program director today to see how to get started!