If you need a quick way to get into a health care job, dental assisting might be right for you. The program starts a new cohort of students each summer, followed by fall semester. You'll be job-ready by January!
- Do telephone triage and scheduling
- Update and file patient medical records
- Handle billing and bookkeeping
- Take vital signs and medical histories
- Prep patients for examination
- Educate patients (tooth brushing, flossing, etc.)
- Perform chairside during procedures
- Take X-rays
- Mix dental materials as required by the dentist
Lakeland's dental assisting graduates are then eligible to take the national certification exam to become a Registered Dental Assistant, known as a RDA.
- Modern learning facility – Lakeland's health building is a state-of-the-art facility with the latest equipment in health care for students to learn on and practice their skills.
- Financially smart – Earning Lakeland's Dental Assisting certificate is affordable, and most Lakeland students graduate with little to no debt.
- Earn college credit – Our certificate counts toward the Associate of Multiskilled Health Technology Degree. If a student so chooses, they may come back to further their education and the dental assisting credits will be applied toward this degree. This is the unique benefit of earning the dental assisting credential at Lakeland, rather than training in-office or at a career center. Although dental assisting is considered one of the best jobs without a degree, all students are encouraged to further their education.
- Complete an inquiry form to learn more about the program or request a meeting with the program coordinator.
- Download the application to the program.
- Then, upload the application here.
- Learn more about financial aid and scholarship opportunities.
Contact our program coordinator to find out how to become a dental assistant and join this growing profession.