Lakeland Community College requires placement testing in English and mathematics. The exam used is called COMPASS. It is an adaptive computer-based test which imposes no time constraints. Three exams are administered – reading, writing and mathematics. Typically, all three exams can be completed within 2 hours.
Testing is conducted in a group session. After the session, students will receive information regarding test scores and appropriate Math and English courses. Students may also speak with a counselor and register for classes. For more in-depth information regarding degree or certificate programs, students should schedule an appointment with a counselor for a date after their placement test session. Call the Counseling office at 440.525.7200 to make an appointment to meet with a counselor.
Students are encouraged to TAKE THE TEST NOW TO AVOID INTERRUPTION IN THEIR ACADEMIC ENDEAVORS AT LAKELAND. A hold will be placed on student accounts that will require completion of the placement exam PRIOR to registration. In order to avoid the rush, students should plan to take the exam as soon as possible. A credit application must be on file in order to register for and to take the test.
Click here for math practice tests.
Testing sessions are BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. Space is limited.
||Students must reserve a seat in a scheduled session via MyLakeland. To register,
- go to http://my.lakelandcc.edu.
- Click on the “Student” tab.
- Under “Schedule It”, click on the COMPASS test link.
- Under “Schedule Compass Session” enter your Lakeland ID – a list of required tests will appear.
- Review available session days & times.
- Reserve a seat by clicking on the “Reserve” button.
Call the Test Center office at 440.525.7019 with questions regarding scheduling the placement exam.
A photo ID is REQUIRED to gain entrance to the test.
Testing begins PROMPTLY at the start time. Late arrivals will NOT be admitted to the test session and will be REQUIRED to reschedule.
Students may be exempt from placement testing if they:
- Present satisfactory ACT or SAT scores in Math & English
- Earned a degree from another accredited college or university
- Are a senior citizen taking classes on an AUDIT basis
- Register for classes as a transient student from another college or university
- Register for courses on an audit basis
- Transfer to Lakeland from another accredited college or university with at least 15 semester credits
For more information about Compass testing, please login to myLakelandor contact one of the following offices: